Health for all starts with strong, equitable health systems that deliver high-quality, people-centered care to everyone, regardless of ability to pay.
There is growing recognition that the vast majority of global health challenges – from maternal deaths to non-communicable diseases to pandemics – stem from a shared obstacle: under-resourced, fractured health systems that prevent the poorest and most marginalized communities from accessing quality, affordable health services. These gaps threaten lives and livelihoods, exacerbate rising inequality and undermine economic growth and social stability in rich and poor countries alike. And, as health crises like Ebola and Zika have made painfully clear, our health systems are only as strong as their weakest links.
When people don’t have to choose between staying healthy or staying out of bankruptcy, communities flourish and economies prosper. Strong primary health care systems meet 80% of people’s diverse health needs. What’s more, robust health systems lead to cost savings and help countries respond to disease outbreaks or other crises.
We believe that health is a human right, and that all countries must accelerate progress toward universal health coverage, with primary health care as a key focus. This means increasing investment in policies, people, information, supplies, technology and infrastructure needed to safeguard health.
To advance these goals, we help clients align and mobilize diverse partners around the shared vision of health for all. We take technical concepts and make them inspiring, and show why investing in health systems is both right and smart. We build global coalitions and secure high-profile champions to spotlight injustices, and we never miss an opportunity to explain why strong health systems matter for all of the issues we care about.
At GHS, a day working on strengthening health systems may mean:
- Creating a digital advocacy toolkit to inspire and energize partners around an important milestone
- Organizing high-level events with ministers of health, leaders of multilateral agencies, heads of state and issue experts
- Writing a script for a video about the importance of primary health care
- Drafting a Letter to the Editor or petition in response to sudden news that could threaten progress
- Contributing to a multi-year advocacy strategy to support health systems strengthening
- Working with country and global leaders to draft op-eds calling for new investments in health systems
- Conceptualizing, creating and engaging media around a documentary or photo series spotlighting health inequity around the world